I love lemon cake; it’s definitely one of my favourite desserts. It also looks beautiful, so is perfect for this post! This is a pretty standard lemon cake recipe, I make the icing a little thicker and sometimes substitute the blueberries for raspberries.
Lemon Loaf Cake Recipe
- 225g soft butter
- 225g caster sugar
- 4 large eggs
- 225g self-raising flour
- 1 unwaxed lemon, zest and juice
- 85g icing sugar
- Lemon rind
- Equal volume mix of caster sugar and water
- Preheat the oven to 180C/160C Fan/Gas 4. Grease a 900g loaf tin with a little butter and line with baking paper.
- Tip the remaining butter and caster sugar into a food processor and blend for a few seconds. Add the eggs one at a time, blending after each addition. Add the flour and lemon zest and blend until smooth.
- Pour the batter into the lined baking tin, flatten the top with the back of a spoon and bake for 50–55 minutes.
- Meanwhile, stir together the lemon juice and icing sugar. When the cake has cooled a little, poke holes in the top using a skewer and drizzle over the icing.
- Thinly slice the lemon rind and place in a pan, add boiling water and boil for 30 seconds, drain and repeat, drain a final time.
- Add the mix of water and sugar to the rind and bring to the boil, once boiling reduce to a simmer for 60 minutes, stirring every 15 minutes or so.
- Once the rind is see through, it’s ready. Tip out onto a tray lined with parchment paper and allow to cool for a few minutes, then, coat with caster sugar and allow to cool.
- Decorate the cake with the blueberries and lemon rind.
If you have an even better lemon cake recipe, or any lemon based dessert you want me to photograph, then get in touch!