Chocolate Banana Bread
If you were to sum up 2020 in a recipe, it would be banana bread. Not because it’s terrible (like 2020 has been), but because everyone has been making it! Here’s an upgraded version; chocolate banana bread.
On top of this, do you know the best way to make chocolate banana bread even better? Add salted caramel sauce…
It’s surprisingly easy to make. The chocolate banana bread is really easy to make; you basically put it all in a bowl and mix it – the sauce needs a little more care, but is still pretty easy – it’s healthy too! (ok, so it’s not even a little bit healthy)
Not Your Average Banana Bread – Top Tips
As I said, it’s a pretty foolproof recipe, but here’s a few tips to make sure you get the best possible chocolate banana bread:
- The cooking time is quite long, you might want to put some foil loosely over the tin about halfway through the cooking time to make sure the loaf doesn’t over brown (burn).
- Using softened (not melted) butter is really important.
- Of course you can replace the chocolate if you wanted; white chocolate chunks work well, my mum always made it with chopped walnuts.
- The bananas want to be really overripe, the more brown the better as it really releases all of the flavour!
- You don’t need a sugar thermometer for the caramel, in the first step just make sure it’s all completely melted and a nice rich amber colour.
- When you add the butter you need to whisk until it’s all combined, otherwise as it cools the fats will separate and the mixture will be split.
- As the butter and the cream are much colder than the sugar when you add them, the mixture will froth up and expand – BE CAREFUL; you really don’t want that on your skin as it will burn you quite badly.
- Use quite a deep saucepan, with a thick bottom – this will ensure that the sugar cooks evenly and doesn’t burn. These are the ones I use and really love them. (non affiliate link, no ad, just my opinion)
Chocolate Banana Bread Recipe
Ingredients for a Chocolate Banana Bread
- 100g softened butter
- 175g caster sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 2 ripe bananas, mashed
- 225g self-raising flour
- 1 level tsp baking powder
- 2 tbsp milk
- 150g milk chocolate – chopped into chunks
- Pre-heat the oven to 180°C (gas mark 4). Lightly grease and flour a 2lb loaf tin.
- In a large bowl, add the flour, sugar, butter, mashed bananas, eggs and baking powder – stir until it’s well mixed.
- Add the milk and stir to loosen the mixture a little.
- Stir through the chocolate chunks and pour the mixture into the loaf tin.
- Bake in the pre-heated oven for 50 minutes, until golden brown and a skewer which is inserted comes out clean. (you may need to cover loosely with foil after 30 minutes to stop it over browning)
Boom – Lovely chocolate banana bread. Allow to cool slightly then slice and serve. You could always drizzle over a lovely salted caramel sauce too…
Salted Caramel Sauce
Ingredients for Salted Caramel Sauce
- 200g granulated sugar
- 90g of salted butter (room temperature)
- 120ml double cream
- 1tsp salt
- Heat the sugar in a heavy bottomed pan, stirring constantly until it has all melted and is a rich amber colour.
- Turn the heat right down, add the butter and whisk until it’s combined (just keep whisking!)
- Once it is all combined, remove the pan from the heat and add a small amount of cream and whisk in; keep adding small amounts of cream and whisking until you have roughly half of the cream added and combined.
- Add the remaining cream and whisk until smooth.
- Finally, stir through the salt.
- Allow to cool slightly before using. Cover tightly and store in the fridge for up to a month. The sauce will solidify in the fridge, heat gently to get the desired consistency before using.
This sauce goes really well with chocolate banana bread – but equally well with other cakes, cupcakes, and traybakes. My favourite use of it is just with a spoon…
Chocolate Banana Bread – How did you get on?
I’d love to see your results, post how you got on in the comments – feel free to tag me on instagram @cleanplate.photo and use the #cleanplatephotos
Is your hospitality business famous for its cakes and sweet treats? Want me to capture you making them? I’d love to have a chat about how I can get some great images for you and your brand. Contact me today.
Chocolate Banana Bread – Video
Watch my two year old and I make this recipe, don’t forget to like and subscribe to the channel for more video recipes!