Super Easy Apple Turnover Recipe
There’s nothing better than a warm apple turnover. Well, you can make it better by adding a little cinnamon, some pecans, and drizzling them with salted caramel sauce. YUMMY!
Plus, they’re super easy to make! So easy that a two year old could do it. In fact, he did! Scroll down to watch the video and see how we got on.
Not Your Average Apple Turnovers – Top Tips
As I said, it’s a pretty foolproof recipe, but here’s a few tips to make sure you get the best possible apple turnovers:
- The pecans are completely optional, but they do add a lovely texture to the filling.
- You can, of course, make your own puff pastry (recipe here) – but, it is a right faff, and it probably won’t be as good as shop bought.
Apple Turnover Recipe
Ingredients for easy apple turnovers
- 2 apples, peeled and finely diced (any variety)
- 1tsp cornflour
- 40g chopped pecans
- 2tsp vanilla extract
- 1tsp ground cinnamon
- 100g granulated sugar
- One pack of puff pastry
- One egg
- Salted Caramel
- Mix together the apples, cornflour, pecans, vanilla extract, cinnamon and granulated sugar. Heat over a medium heat, stirring constantly for five minutes. Reduce to a simmer for five minutes. Remove from the heat and allow to cool completely.
- Cut the pastry block into two pieces, roll each one out and cut into four even squares (giving you eight squares in total)
- Evenly spoon the filling onto the middle of each square.
- Fold each one in half diagonally.
- Use the back of a fork to crimp the two halves together and trim any excess.
- Mix the egg together and brush each one of the turnovers with the egg wash.
- Carefully, make two or three small holes in the top of each one to allow steam to escape.
- Bake each tray (separately) for 20 minutes in an oven which has been preheated to 200°C (gas mark 6).
- Allow to cool slightly and drizzle caramel sauce over them.
Boom – Lovely pockets of spiced apples wrapped in pastry and covered in caramel sauce. What more could you want?
Apple Turnovers – How did you get on?
I’d love to see your results, post how you got on in the comments – feel free to tag me on instagram @cleanplate.photo and use the #cleanplatephotos
Is your hospitality business famous for its cakes and sweet treats? Want me to capture you making them? I’d love to have a chat about how I can get some great images for you and your brand. Contact me today.
Easy Apple Turnover – Video
Watch my two year old and I make this recipe, don’t forget to like and subscribe to the channel for more video recipes!